Flowers add color and fragrance to any occasion. Throughout history of human kind, flowers have been associated with love, purity, freshness and other emotions. Flowers are used in birth ceremonies, romance, marriages, and even in death. The flowers of different colours symbolize various emotions. Red roses are symbols of love, beauty and passion. Red poppies are worn to commemorate deaths of soldiers. Lilies are used in burials for symbolizing resurrection after death. Daisies represent innocence.
The usage of flowers in weddings date back to the ancient ages. Flowers and herbs adorned the veils of brides in Rome. Ivies were used in Greek weddings to symbolize eternal love. The Saracens used orange blossoms as wedding flowers. It enhances the ambiance of the wedding, and are the right carriers to convey the emotions of the ceremony.
Here are the types of flowers:
• Roses include, Jacaranda, Bridal Pink, Delores, Candia, Sterling Silver, Sonia, Lady Diana, Jacqueline Kennedy etc.
• Lilies include, Lily Of The Valley, Zephyr Lily, Rubrium Day Lilies, Calla etc.
• Orchids include Japhet, Phalenopsis, Spray Orchids, Dendrobium, Cymbidium, Catlaya etc
• Other flowers that are used in weddings are Violets, Amaryllis, Daffodils, Asters, Anemones, Chrysanthemums, Daisies, Forget Me Not, Gardenia, Gladiolus, Lilac and Iris etc.
Things to ponder:
- Budgeting for wedding flowers is very important. The best way to reduce the cost is to opt for in season flowers. The flowers out of season will be costly. It is prudent to contact a florist well in advance, since flowers ordered in haste will neither be to taste and will nor be economical.
- Florists. Weddings are hectic and demanding as many decisions like, venue, ceremonial style, guests, food and other arrangements are to be taken into account. So it is better to leave the arrangements of flowers to the florists. A photograph of wedding gown and a sample cloth piece of wedding gown should be shown to the florist for him/her to decide the best flowers to suit the dress.
- Floral arrangements are required for bridal bouquet, headdress, wedding table, wedding cake etc. Florists usually do floral arrangements. Some headdresses contain flowers, so care must be taken that the bridal bouquet and the headdress match.
- Wedding flowers’ colour and shape. Traditionally the color of flowers is white, as white symbolises purity and virginity. However sometimes the colors of wedding flowers are changed to match the wedding gown and the general scheme of wedding. Various shapes of bouquets are available like round posy, cascade, waterfall etc. The shape of bouquet should be chosen considering the height, skin tone, shape etc of the bride.
- Scented silk flowers are also being used nowadays as they have longevity and can be kept as a memory of the wedding day. There is no fear of the flowers wilting due to heat during the wedding. However they do not feel like real flowers.
Incidentally, if you are in the UK, Vera Wang Wedding Flowers will soon be launched by Interflora throughout the UK. If you want to have couture wedding flower decorations, read the full story here.
Wedding flowers add color and aroma to a wedding. Wedding flowers increase the attractiveness of the bride to a higher level. Hence the choice of wedding flowers should be done with thought and care.