One very sad fact about accidents and emergencies is that you will never know when it’s going to happen. Although there are ample space available in vehicles, only a few people carry things in their cars which could help them in case of emergency. In preparing an emergency kit and storing it in your vehicle, could save your own life or the lives of others in such a dangerous situation.
Here are some simple items to carry in your car at all times, especially if traveling anywhere.
- Flashlight – You need this in case you have to replace a tire in the darkness of the night. It’s also useful in putting water in the radiator or attaching a battery cable without a light source. This can be used in signalling passing drivers or rescuers. Imagine what can happen if you don’t have this in your car. Costs only a few dollars but can definitely save your life.
- Jumper Cables – Most batteries give you a warning before they go out. In instances where you forgot to switch off the lights and drain the battery. If you have a set of jumper cables in your car, you won’t have to call a car technician or a friend for help. You can also offer help to some other stranded motorists.The benefits of this simple item outweighs the cost associated with it.
- Gallon of Gas – It’s dirty and smelly but if you were to run out of gas, you may be able to walk to a gas station and fill it up. If you have a gallon or two in the back of your car, you could save yourself a trip and be on your way in a few minutes.
- Tow Strap – A tow strap takes up a lot of room in the back of your car. But you can wrap it up and carry it with your spare tire. If ever you need to be towed or need to be pulled out of a ditch or mud puddle, this strap could make it possible.
- First Aid Kit – If there’s an accident, be it minor or a major one, this kit may help until the rescuers or paramedics arrive. You may include some water and snacks. The first aid kit will allow you to mend minor wounds sustained in an accident and the snacks will make any wait you have much more pleasant.
Although this list may make it seem as though your trunk will be filled with emergency gear, the fact is that these items will take up very little space. At least, they are not as expensive as buying new honda seat covers. Although the possibility of you finding yourself in a situation where these items are necessary is quite low, imagine your chagrin if you find yourself in need of these items but do not have them. Keep yourself safe, carry your safety net with you at all times.